Isleworth's original area of settlement, alongside the Thames, is known as 'Old Isleworth'.
The north-west corner of the town, bordering on Osterley to the north and Lampton to the west, is known as 'Spring Grove'.
It became the new home of the Dukes of Northumberland when Northumberland House in the Strand was demolished in 1874.
and then market gardens in the 19th century, supplying the London markets.
The Royalist army occupied the house during the Battle of Brentford in November 1642.
Syon Park was rebuilt and landscaped by the Adam brothers and "Capability" Brown between 17.
'Gislheresuuyrth', meaning in Old English Enclosure belonging to [a man called] Gīslhere, is first referred to as a permanent settlement in an Anglo-Saxon charter in the year 695.
This phenomenon arose owing mainly to the collection of royal and noble residences and ecclesiastical establishments that already existed nearby.
The subject is examined in depth further down this article The first half of the 20th century for Isleworth generally was characterised by a very substantial amount of artisan and white-collar residential development throughout the town, at the expense of numerous market gardens.
The castle-like stone church tower by the river remains from this period, see below.
In 1415 Henry V granted nuns from the Swedish Bridgettine order land on the bank of the Thames, in Twickenham parish opposite his new Sheen Palace, where they built their first house Syon Monastery.